Friday, February 10, 2012

Black History Month Highlight: Siah Carter

Siah Carter aboard USS Monitor
Like many other African American slaves, Siah Carter sought freedom adn refure in the Union Navy along the  myriad waterways of the southern interior.  At the time he joined the Union Navy, Carter was a slave at the Shirley Plantation in Charles City, Virginia.  He became the first of eigtheen slaves to escape from Shirley Plantation in 1862,  Twenty-two year old Carter fled down the James River two months after the Battle of Hampton Roads, finding USS Monitor laying at anchor.  He enlisted aboard the ironclad as a "first class boy," serving as a coal heaver and cook's assistant for the duration of the ship's short existance.  Carter survived the sinking of the famed vessels in December 1862, going on to serve on several other Union ships until the end of the war.  He was discharged from the Union Navy in May 1865 and returned to Shirley Plantation to wed former slave Eliza Tarrow.  They eventually settled in Bermuda Hundred, Virginia, and raised thirteen children. 

Siah Carter's in children's popular literature

1 comment:

  1. I wish to express some appreciation to you just for rescuing me from this type of situation. Because of researching through the world-wide-web and coming across strategies which were not beneficial, I thought my life was over. Existing devoid of the answers to the issues you've resolved as a result of your main website is a critical case, as well as those that would have in a negative way damaged my career if I hadn't come across the blog. Your main natural talent and kindness in maneuvering every item was very useful. I'm not sure what I would've done if I hadn't come across such a stuff like this. I am able to at this moment look ahead to my future. Thanks for your time very much for your high quality and results-oriented help. I won't think twice to endorse the blog to anybody who should have counselling on this situation.
    Peterson Fluid Systems 08-0302 Wrap Around Oil Tank Heater

    ReplyDelete